PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair or easyjet - difficult choice ???
Old 17th Dec 2003, 11:31
TransWorldFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

I have been fortunate enough to have been granted an interview with easyJet in January. I have not heard from Ryanair, even though I have applied online (3 times) (Yes.. 3 times 50 pounds). I am a high time pilot, over 10,000 hours, however not type rated on the B-737. I look forward to my easyJet interview and am very excited about the possibility of working there. Living on another continent, I read all responses to inquiries regarding easyJet and Ryanair with much interest. If you have any advice for this high time newcomer to the JAA, please feel free to pass it along. I would love to know as much as possible about the easyJet and/or Ryanair interview process. I, too, am interested in hearing from those who work at these companies and from those who have left and their reasons for doing so.

It has been my priviledged to have flown as an airline pilot for nearly 18 years. I have been recently furloughed from a major US carrier due to a buy out ( American Airlines buying Trans World Airlines -TWA) which, because of circumstances beyond my control, I lost all my seniority from TWA.

I certainly am not bitter from what some might view as unfair circumstances. I will continue to strive to move ahead and try to turn any of life's roadbumps into positive experiences.

I have recently finished the conversion of my FAA ATP to the UK ATPL B-757/B-767 and welcome what challengers lie ahead. I have to admit, those 14 written exams were a real challenge. Fortunately, because my forefathers were European (Irish), I have been able to obtain dual US/Irish citizenship; a major hurdle for us yanks wanting to work in the EU. I welcome the opportunity to fly in Europe. I welcome the opportunity to fly alot. Losing the job that I loved... stinks! I'd much rather be flying than sitting home. Who wouldn't?

Friends... please know... I feel we have the second best job on the planet; personally I can't sing or play the guitar, so I will stick to flying airplanes. Yes, as pilots we spend alot of days away from family and friends. As parents, we miss alot of things that others don't...(kid's soccer games, graduations etc...) however, with that being said, most of us know deep in our hearts, we would not give this vocation up for anything. (Maybe a lottery win, but that's another story!) And, we spend money, lots of money, in obtaining the ratings and licenses needed for our careers in aviation. But we do it with the hope of one day finding that 'dream job'. (I wish that fulfillment for everyone).

Hope is what keeps me motivated. I hope and pray for a fulfilling job with either easyJet or Ryanair. I hear they aren't perfect... but who or what is? Certainly, not I! Life is what we make it. Grasp it, live it... carpe dium.

After all that said, I would love to hear from any easyJet and Ryanair pilots and be given their realistic, honest points of view from life on the inside.

Thanks,
TWF