PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - knee boards
Thread: knee boards
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2003, 06:29
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
I've half a dozen, and routinely switch between them depending upon what type I'm flying and why. I confess that for A-B flying in a conventional Piper/Cessna style light aircraft that I do prefer the trifold variety - my current model being a Pooleys helicopter kneeboard (and no, I don't fly helicopters). It holds...

- Checklist
- Ruler
- Protractor
- Type data card.
- Route plan
- Approach plates.
- Blank card for scribbling notes on.
- Small GPS (or sunglasses case, but not both).
- Multiple pens and pencils, and when required a small night flying torch.
- And, under duress, my chart, although usually that relocates under my leg or between windscreen and cowling pretty quickly.

A colleague did describe it as being less a kneeboard and more a mobile filing system, and that's probably fair comment - but I still am very fond of it.

Yesterday I'd have agreed that the various information printed on them is useless. Except that this evening (in night and on the edge of controlled airspace) I had a radio failure towards the end of a 3 hour flight, and without it I'm bloody sure I'd not have remembered the right squawk code (7600) without it. So, at the least, it's better than leaving it blank!

BUT, there's nothing to stop you buying a cheap clipboard, of whatever size suits you, and other possible oddments, from Office World (a much underrated pilot supplies shop in my opinion), attaching it to your knee with elastic, and making up something to suit yourself. Many very experienced pilots have done just that.

G