PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - knee boards
Thread: knee boards
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2003, 05:50
Another St Ivian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the A5 Pilots Kneeboard. It remains strapped to my right upper leg during flight via a wide elastic band which velcros' in the middle. It has a clear plastic sheet on the front which you can slide things under and a clip at the top for attaching things like PLOG's. I have a chinograph propelling pencil affair on an elastic thread attached to it. This allows me to jot stuff down in flight. The board can unfold into two halves, the fold being on the left side. In this space is a plastic pocket on each inner face, in here I keep a frequency card, airfield Pooleys entries and a Nav Plotter. I find that this works pretty well. The issue freq. card has a map scale down each side so coupled with the plotter it makes any in flight diversion planning simple.
As a previous poster mentioned make sure that before flight you attach the kneeboard in the position you want to use it and then do a full and free check. For me (in a 152) I cannot apply full left rudder and full right aileron at the same time as the kneeboard restricts this. Therefore I do not wear it for take off and landing, only in flight. My departure checks include putting it on and recovery checks include taking it off again. If in regular flight I need to apply the above mentioned controls I think the velcro bit should snap under the pressure.
As for the stopwatch and other jazz on the kneeboard I don't bother, I use my wristwatch for timing. One other thing to be aware of, don't let yourself stare at your kneeboard for too long, keep heads up! Something I was guilty of at one point.
Hope you find something that works.

ASI