PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sex Offender and becoming a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2021, 13:30
DDobinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, I want to say, you are, and potentially always will be, an absolutely colossal prat.

Why on earth would you goto the bloody police? Just delete the message, move on.

Anyway, as has been said here, you need to fight this, or see what your actual position is. Assuming what you’ve said is the absolute truth, you’ve done nothing wrong. Speak to a lawyer, find out everything.

With regards to job prospects. Each aviation authority is different, many don’t even do criminal record and background checks (China comes to mind). I never had one anyway as far as I remember. UK CAA 100% needs a 5 year check. But obviously, if a carrier then flies to the US you’ll need a visa, etc etc

Personally, I would NOT go the ‘honesty is the best policy’ route. In fact I think that’s a stupid idea. Like when you go for your Class 1 medical.

Do NOT contact a journalist and in any way be named or go ‘public’.

Whilst it’s a different case entirely, I remember a story, a few years ago a guy I was a flight instructor with, he went out on 1 date with a girl, then proceeded to stalk her for the next 3 weeks saying he loved her, texted her and called her everyday, eventually he said to her ‘if you don’t see me I’m going to crash a plane into your house!’ She called the police, he was sent to a mental ward and it was all over the local papers.

As far as I am aware, he took some good lawyers, fought the case and got charges dropped. And now still has a job in aviation.

You have unfortunately incriminated yourself and the police love an easy case. But, I think it’s worth fighting.

And, for what it’s worth, again, assuming everything you’ve said is true. I do not think you’ve done anything wrong and should be allowed to pursue a job in aviation.