PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas...Post COVID
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2021, 07:49
Beer Baron

Received 158 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Telfer86
BB you are counting empty aircraft flying around

Do you actually believe that data regarding number of flights anyway ? Sounds V fishy. I would be counting paying RPT pax & if you look at the Bitre data , we might have got to 50% in May.

A more accurate measure would to look at both RPT (nos) and also RPKs

Free country & all but an upside of 7.5 weeks of entitlements Vs a downside of redundancy & returning years later on a B scale
Yes, of course I am counting flying empty aircraft around. I just flew an “empty” aircraft up to Shanghai (cargo only). I and the other pilots will be paid for the duty, including the S/O who came back early from unnecessary LWOP. That is what matters in this discussion, not how many are pax onboard. It is not the time for caring about Qantas’s profit margins, it is time to worry about getting the maximum number of pilots back to work.

As for the stats, well I trust the published figures a lot more than I trust your own glass-half-empty metrics. But since you asked, the most recent BITRE stats are for April 2021 and compared to 2019 RPT pax numbers were at 68% and RPK at 66%. Qantas’s share of those numbers have obviously gone up as they have taken market share due to the unfortunate events at the Virgin group.
Having actually been out there flying, with double daily widebody services to CNS and DRW with 80%+ load factors, I have seen the rebound in domestic capacity. Admittedly it will take a hit out of NSW for a while but history has shown that it will come roaring back once borders reopen.

And your final point is a false dichotomy. No one has been sacked, stand down is far cheaper for the company and with the end in sight now I find it very hard to see CR suddenly being entertained. All coms from the company support this.
So the true options are; take LWOP and be assured you will do no flying and miss out on your leave entitlements Vs remain stood down, possibly be asked to fly in the next 6 months and collect 7.5 weeks leave regardless.