PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sex Offender and becoming a pilot?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2021, 09:26
nothopeful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sex Offender and becoming a pilot?

As per title says, please take the time to read so I can fully explain my circumstances.

I'm in my early 20s and in the UK. Last year got involved in the hype of dating websites, after going through a nasty breakup of a long term relationship. Got chatting to a nice girl, well spoken, mature, whatnot. She is 17 and just about to finish college, so approx 4.5 years younger than me. She sends me a risque picture of her in her underwear, which I didn't ask for, nor did I think all that much of, aside from being flattered. Eventually the conversation fizzles out and I forget all about it. Looking forward to graduating and heading off to flight school in the summer to complete my fATPL.

Six months later I recieve a message from her. Did I know that what she sent me was illegal, and unless I forwarded her a large lump of cash she would be turning me in to the police? Fine I say, I'll talk to them myself, thinking that as I didn't request the pic and she was now blackmailing me, I would be OK.
Boy was i wrong. I was swiftly arrested and have had my phone, laptop etc taken, only to be informed that the police have retrieved the image and are prosecuting me for one count of indecent images of children.

I'm mortified, beyond mortified, that this has happened. I don't know if I can ever socially or legally recover from this. I'm meant to be starting at L3 in September and don't even know if I can take my place or get a job as a pilot as it looks like I will be convicted and spend 5 years on the sex offenders register.

I am really just looking for some honest, brutal advice, especially since my Mum and Dad's holiday home is on the line here as it was used to take out the loan for my flight training. Am I realistically done for in terms of commercial aviation with a criminal record like this? I'll be on the children's barred list most likely which would probably stop me from instructing too

Honest, brutal advice please. God knows I need it right now.