PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alternative flying careers and bouncing back
Old 10th Jul 2021, 00:13
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
Read the link to the paper which Peterlike originally posted. It’s not by some Extinction Rebellion nutjobs.

It is written by a bunch of serous academics in the UK and spells out the pathway to zero emissions by 2050. It may all seem draconian to us now, but don’t be surprised if we are all forced along a perhaps less extreme pathway.

One thing it also says is for us to reduce eating lamb and beef. Yikes!! I’d worry more about that than reducing cheap and nasty LCC travel.
It's just an academic paper, not a government policy. Go back another 30 years and you probably would have found papers describing Absolute Zero by 2020 as well, in fact, here's a paper I wrote called "Absolute Zero 2022: STOP USING FUEL RIGHT NOW". That doesn't mean it's going to actually happen by then.

The fact is that if we wanted to stop all man-made pollution tomorrow, we probably could but of course, we all realise there are LOTS of good reasons why we couldn't just switch everything off tomorrow and there's absolutely no real desire in the world to do this.

This is all relevant to the topic btw, anyone in Aviation now has to realise that as an industry it has a finite lifetime, Automation will slowly creep in more and more, projects like high speed rail, automated vehicles and many other new techs will eventually reduce the need for Aviation significantly in the future (Covid has probably accelerated that a bit). If you've got more than 20 years left in you before retirement you should definitely be thinking of other options and start making moves towards them. Go do some really part time study on something you enjoy, stash some money away in a special account to start your own business, invest heavily now to set yourself up for later, plenty of options but as I was once very wisely taught in Aviation, "You should never find yourself somewhere you don't have a plan to get back out of".