PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 single engine go around and TOGA switches
Old 7th Jul 2021, 11:38
Uplinker

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts
Judging by how many pilots of other types cannot seem to understand how the Airbus FBW and A/THR works, there is nothing "half" about being an Airbus pilot.

Why do some pilots find it so hard to simply look at N1/EPR gauges, instead of the position of the thrust levers? Both tell you exactly what the A/THR is doing, but moving thrust levers can become a proxy for the engine gauges, so the pilot's scan of their engine instruments gets forgotten. The levers are the input, not the engine output, so the engine gauges in any type need to be looked at anyway; witness Centaurus's SIM test where he failed a Boeing thrust lever and the crew did not notice, ending in a 'crash'.

Never mind which type one flies: one hand should be on the thrust levers during approach in case a go-around is required, or if the A/THR does not react correctly and/or manual thrust control is required. A turbulent day and an approach where manual thrust or TOGA becomes necessary is not the time to start trying to put your hand on the levers, it should be there already.

As regards only one hand on the (conventional) yoke: Is there any situation in which both hands on the yoke would be helpful? I can think of a few. Would there ever be a situation in which PF would ask PM for TOGA while he, PF, put both hands on the yoke to ensure correct pitch and bank and not overshoot?
For example, I always found it much easier and more accurate to do 60° banked level turns* if I had both hands on the yoke rather than one. Both hands also means both sides of the brain are used, and gives finer control.

* obviously a SIM exercise, not part of normal flying !