PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 single engine go around and TOGA switches
Old 7th Jul 2021, 01:47
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@FlightDetent

I can see your post is full of humour, which might be missed by a few, but it is also some valid points re: "feedback" via the back driven thrust levers.

When I began flying, it was taught, actually, drummed into us. One hand on the "lever" at all times.

In the following 30 years, this has worked out well across all types, SE Pistons, Twin Pistons, Twin Turbine, and 4 different Jet types. (3 Real-Pilot types (WW24, Jet, B787), and 1 Half-Pilot type, (A320)) The first Jet type didn't have any form of "Auto Throttle/Thrust" or even "Glass". No idea how I survived??!!

Having back driven thrust levers on a modern Glass cockpit really doesn't make any difference to my life. I went from being a Half-Pilot to a Real-Pilot then back to being a Half-Pilot, A320->B787->A320. There is so much information directly in-front of you on the PFD, and the Engine instruments are a great back up.

Having all this Automation makes me very "Lazy".

Recently in the SIM, during a manual thrust exercise, the Instructor was talking about manual handling of the speed and the best reference for Thrust setting on approach. We have IAE which have EPR as the primary reference, fairly useless, but the N1 works well. We discussed the expected pitch/thrust for the approach. We all managed to regurgitate the "numbers" ie: 2.5º N/U with Thrust = GW-10%.

His next question was an eye opener. "How are you going to set the Thrust from then on?"

At this point I needed to re tie my shoelaces, and my mate had something important in his flight bag that needed to be repacked.

"THE BEST REFERENCE FOR THRUST SETTING IN A MODERN A/C IS THE AIRSPEED TREND VECTOR"

This is true for the Boeing, Embraer or the Airbus, regardless of the back driven Thrust Levers.

As far as the Airbus v Boeing thrust lever debate, I vote for the Table and Sidestick. ;-)