PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Visa Waiver Programme?
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2003, 18:52
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Think it's about time we get US citizens to have a Visa for the UK"

Boss Raptor,

That was the point I raised in an earlier post in this thread.
I do not necessarily object to the US authorities insisting on visas (or waiver scheme) for UK citizens if they think it necessary for national security there. However, it seems to be that because the UK does not insist on visas for US citizens coming here then presumably any American can enter this country without being asked to disclose previous convictions.

I was lucky to be able to take early retirement in my early fifties several years ago (not in the aviation industry) and have since visited the USA for holidays on several occasions. I find the country fascinatingly diverse and its people friendly and open on the whole, there are always exceptions as in any country.

However, I have not been back since September 2001 mainly because of some horror stories I have heard concerning US immigration and over-the-top security - probably exaggerated and indeed my son has been to the US twice this year on business with no problems.

As to fingerprinting all visitors to the US, I would have thought this would lead to horrendous hold-ups at the point of entry to the US and of course would upset many from a civil libertarian point of view. I have no particular worry about being fingerprinted and my local airport in the UK (BRS) automatically photographs all departing pasengers to ensure the person checking in is the person who later boards the aircraft.

I also love visiting Canada so my next trips across the Pond wil probably be to there.

I have never been convicted in a criminal court anywhere or arrested anywhere - yet?!