PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-LAWX S92 Incident AAIB
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2021, 12:56
SASless

Received 510 Likes on 212 Posts
Gulli.....you ask a. question that you very well know the answer.

Because t hey do not use that equipment on a daily basis, have no intention of using it, and therefore perceive there is not need to know anything about it.

That they are being flat assed stupid for all of t hat alludes them.

Far too often...we read of them in the newspapers and folks wonder how it could be they are no longer with us.

Every time those of that mindset crash in a simulator.....that should be a jolt to their sense of complacency they live in.....but they laugh it off and think the Sim is just a big ol' video game.

Many times I stopped the training after the first flight.....sent them to the classroom and turned on the video of "THEIR" performance in the cockpit.....then went for coffee while they watched "Their"" performance that resulted in what would surely have been a fatal accident.

Most times that was all that was needed to change their view about the seriousness of Simulator Training.

If I. did not see visible signs of a reawakening of the two....we did a step by step analysis of what they had done to kill themselves and every time we had to do that....I had their full and undivided attention afterwards.

Then it seemed the Sim sessions went a lot better.

It was. not "me" that made the difference....it was the accumulated experience of the Sim Instructors over the many Years that was analyzed and adopted into a program designed to expose trainees to procedures, techniques, and various ways of enhancing the safe operation of the aircraft....all of which were gleaned from earlier Trainees as well as the Instructors.

That is one example of going outside your own Operation to. look for new and/or better ways of doing what you do in your Operation.

:Lots of folks around the World are flying. Helicopters....we can and should learn from all of them as best we can.

One thing for sure is no one Operator or Authority has the monopoly on how to do this helicopter flying thing in a safe and efficient way.....as sometimes there are several right ways to do the same task....picking the best way is the key.

If you hold a ATPL....you are supposed to be a Professional....and that requires continuing study, learning in your Profession, meeting high standards of Professionalism.....and of course mentoring those who are new to the Profession.

I learned a lot while teaching in the Simulator....as lots of very good people passed through the school and they were a knowlege source that bore listening to when doing your instructing.

There were also some that Gulli describes that did not want to be there and resisted the opportunity to learn....and sadly even displayed a patently bad attitude of refusing to entertain the notion the Sim Training was of any value to them.....and it was them that needed that training the most.

“No matter how much experience you have, there’s always something new you can learn and room for improvement.”
Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart