PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Exam Fail - Airline Selection
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2021, 21:15
spitfirejock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally do not believe it makes one scrap of difference between a first time pass (flight test or exam) and a subsequent attempt which was successful. FTP's only prove a certain type of focus (sometimes luck) and ability to learn in a certain way. Often those people dump what they have learned just as fast. The ability to pass multiple choice exams proves very little.

IMHO, its about retaining essential knowledge and becoming an all round pilot/airman (or woman) with lots of other skills (many soft skills), personality, drive, determination, attitude etc. A good interviewer can see the wood from the trees, usually!

One caveat, however, multiple failures and many subsequent attempts would show a lack of focus and dedication and likely bring into question the persons learning ability and skill. If asked at an interview how many attempts, for either skill test or TK exams, being forthright and clear and not being defensive about needing a second attempt would be just as well received by the interviewer as someone who simply stated 'passed everything first time' which actually might come across as somewhat arrogant especially as the interviewer(s) may have had more than one attempt themselves.

One of my good friends, who is a senior captain with one of the most prestigious airlines, often reminds me of his repeats on some of those crazy exams where he didn't even understand the question and his 2 attempts for CPL (fail then pass) and 2 attempts at IR (partial then pass), but he is well thought of, is an outstanding pilot and great captain.