PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do employers care where you train for your CPL/ME-IR?
Old 4th Jun 2021, 23:18
spitfirejock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't matter where you train its about the quality of training you receive and ultimately, the standard you reach based on your own Knowledge, Skills and Attitude (KSA). Don't forget those soft skills (not just the ability to fly an aircraft). The interview process is what counts not where you trained. It is also about VALUE FOR MONEY, why pay twice as much for the same licence?, are you twice as qualified?, obviously not, are you better?, not necessarily, it depends on the quality fo training, are you more likely to get an airline job if you pay more?, no, the two things are not directly linked although in certain circumstances, if you were selected on a 'tagged' airline sponsored scheme, then graduation naturally gives you a leg up (certainly an interview but absolutely not a job guarantee) it still depends on you passing the final selection and interview.

The problem with the industry is the plethora of false information and spurious claims. For example, a UK or European based school will often try and have you believe in their 'sales' pitch that you must train in 'Europe' if you want a European licence. This is quite understandable, but it doesn't make the right advice. They forget to inform you that most airline pilot training takes place in the US or abroad (and always has) not just for the so-called 'big schools' on a so called 'integrated' course, but also for the larger Modular schools. The smaller local schools do a good job for people who have to train in their own country as they still have a job to go to, but these make up a much smaller part of the market. The middle size schools, one such example, BCFT in Bournemouth, they send their students overseas to the US where they return with the equivalent of aCPL/ME (integrated course) and then finish off with the IR and MCC in the UK, so do you consider this European of overseas training?

As for then 'integrated v modular debate' by now, this should be over and well proven and yet the questions just keep on coming as no doubt they always will.

As for Dct Mopas, couldn't disagree more. The US has taken a lot of stick from European and the UK pundits about the way they handled the pandemic, yet the economy and aviation in the US is already back with a vengeance with several forecasts that we will be back to pre-Covid airline hiring by September. There is already a solid prediction of an instructor shortage by then. Indeed, I have personally received calls from several major airlines in my aviation consultancy role asking if I can help them with a recruitment drive by targetting certain flight schools - so yes, we are back 2 years earlier than the gloom and doom merchants predicted.

IMHO, just like a recession, humans talk themselves into one and out of one just as easily. The UK and Europe needs to wake up and get past the current restrictions (and politics after Brexit). We all need to encourage positivity and not negatively it has been the crappiest 18 months for all of us, let's look forward.