PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - wats the big deal about jets ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2003, 13:19
Anthony Carn

It's always amused me that the difficulty and stress in aviation is in reverse order to the prestige and financial reward.

Single-crew light twin -- you're doing everything yourself. From the moment the phone goes calling you for a job, you are flat out dealing with every aspect of the pre-flight. You're in close contact with the punters. You're using (often) relatively basic equipment. You're stuck in all the worst weather. The variety of destinations is massive. People regard you as "a pilot of really tiddly planes". Status with friends, family and "better" pilots (coming to that) is ........ zilch. Awful money.

Two- crew airline turboprop -- Handles like a light twin (often). Not much faster.Company do the pre flight stuff. F/O gets the weather and Notams, picks up full nav log, fills in Flight Report title fields (cor, really hard stuff ... not). Capt. calculates fuel. Runway performance often not critical (depending on operation). Better equipment. Segregated from pax. Hosties make the drinks. In the crumblies and icing, but the radar and de-icing works fairly well (a/c age related, I admit). You're regarded as an"airline pilot" of some standing, until they see your aircraft and say "B..b..b..but is got those whirly things on it !" Money getting better.

Two crew airline short-haul jet. Getting easier, better equipped, way above the weather. You're a "jet airline pilot". People still ask "When are you going to fly something bigger ?". The workload is high, if the sectors are short and frequent. Once you know how to use the performance book and have adapted to the higher speed (big deal), you've discovered how much easier it all is. Ignore the idiots who talk about "swept wing" handling -- it's no different to any other handling (Concorde excepted, and even that's mainly the landing). Money really shooting up, now.

Two (even three) crew long-haul jet. Superb equipment. Handling and speed comments as for short-haul jet. Most of the time spent bored out of your brains, feet on the instrument panel, reading a book, autopilot doing the straight line stuff, even the wiggly bits. No pressure. Performance, fuel and weather planning are more complex, but not much more. You can't land a plane all that well any more, because you only get to do it four times a month (and that goes for landing the plane, too). People think that you are a vastly experienced aviation God. Money at least on a par with short haul, but can be much better. (especially if you work for an ex nationalised mob who pay out huge wedges in allowances).

So, basically, this "jet time" thing is all rubbish.

There's a dangerous new breed of pilot out there. Only ever flown jets since graduating from the Air Training School. I'll leave you to work out why they're dangerous.

I'd be asking "Do you have any other experience except for jet time !!!