PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Army
Thread: European Army
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2021, 05:35
SaulGoodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LandingCheck
I know that somehow blaming Trump is on every European defense bingo card but let's play a game.

Who said the following, and when.

and
I do not blame Trump. Maybe a little on Syria but that is a different discussion.
But to answer your question this was being said under the Obama administration if I am not mistaken. And they are completely right.

I’m completely for spending a minimum of 2 percent on Defense as was being agreed by NATO members. But that’s just a number. You still end up wasting an insane amount of money by developing, procuring and reinventing everything 27 times. If the EU wants to remain a soft power it has to become a hard power as well. Therefore I believe that further integration has become inevitable. In which shape and form exactly is yet to be decided.
What you have now are 27 member states who all have a different view on their defense strategies, different material, procedures etc.
The other end of the spectrum is one EU Military being orchestrated from Brussels. This is so far fetched that I can’t see that happen in the next few decades if ever.
The logical solution is somewhere in the middle.

Russia in the EU? Never say never but really???