PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 24th May 2021, 10:46
Training Risky

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadstool
Whilst it is interesting to hear tales of the RAF of yesteryear, there are always those bores who rail against the current “woke” RAF. Those halcyon days where the closest one got to ops was a Taceval or an inconvenience was the NAAFI running out of duty free cigarettes.

34 years ago a trip to the range was met with dread. The inevitable inspection after getting off the bus when someone had an errant hair on the chin or a spot on the mess tin. Trying to get a tight grouping having ran around the ranges for an hour with an SLR above the head was nigh on impossible. Lying in the prone position and worrying about whether or not the instructor would provide a boot between the legs.

Nowadays, the woke bearded RAF Regt instructor, with a chest full of Campaign medals, would dare to provide coaching on how best to fire my glock.

Ironically, I’m doing near enough the same job now as I did years ago except, rather than doing it on the Inner German Border, I do it at 30000 ft.

Wokeness, I don’t see it but I’m happy to be proved otherwise by someone who might actually know.
Well, I left only 6 years ago after completing a Permanent Commission throughout the 'War on Terror' with a few medals, does my view count?

I noticed the insidious mould of 'wokery' creeping into the Service in my last couple of years: the disengagement from Herrick in 2014 seemed to give carte blanche to every snowflake with an -ism to get on every trendy hobby horse going.

From militant gay and transsexual shop stewards in uniform, to the genderblind OJARs, to the huge sums of money spent on making certain roles open to a tiny proportion of women who passed a lowered standard.

Not all serving and recently-served people agree that the RAF is heading in the right direction.