PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas...Post COVID
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:26
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Fonz121
I’m sure they can but it would be highly unethical.

Imo, the stand down provisions should be null and void as soon as the company posts any kind of profit. But what Keg said.
Really???? So, the company is supposed to keep paying or keep on the books, people who have no work to do and are not likely to until 2022.... THEN, having made them redundant, they MUST employ them again if they make 'any kind of profit' - OK, so if they make $1.00c profit, you reckon they should re-employ them all, even if there's still no work for them.

Seriously, I wonder what sort of feather-bedded bubble some people live in. Qantas is a publicly listed company, they are ultimately required to produce a return on invested capital by the shareholders. No company can be held to guarantee re-employment if they make 'any kind of profit'. That is simply la-la land and completely unrealistic....... apply this to ANY other business, for instance, if you owned shares in a restaurant chain, with half the restaurants closed across the country because of, gee, let me think, a months long pandemic - would you want the chain to go bust and lose your investment because they just kept staff on when there was no prospect of work for a year or more.

No business can be expected to do that, no business can survive by doing that.

Need I remind anyone that VA kept putting staff on and putting staff on and negotiating EBA after EBA with increased wages and in some cases, zero productivity increase, the shareholders swallowed it over and over again while billions were spent on frivolous items, aircraft leases were exorbitant, bonuses paid every year and what happened in the end....... then they restarted and got rid of all but 6000 of their staff....