PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should officers spend compulsory time in the ranks?
Old 21st May 2021, 14:38
Wasser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was SNCO I/C the Line at a busy fast jet OCU. The work was demanding, constantly juggling balls and trying to stay in control, so that the fly boys got to borrow the jets for a few hours whilst also keeping the FLMs happy.

All was going quite well, until one day we got a baby EngO who was with us until he went for further training. Unfortunately, he decided that sticking around the Line office was the place for him, but rather than stay back and watch what was going on he decided to join in by answering the phone, taking messages etc. That's ok, but what he forgot to do was pass the information on to me or even update the 'plastic brain'. This came to a head one day when I returned to the office and saw that 2 aircraft were late back. Where were they? Nobody knew, OMG. Then Bengo walks in and nautulantly announces that Ops had told him they would be late back, but he didn't tell anyone or even update the plastic brain! My counterpart on the other shift was having similar problems with him so we went and saw the Sengo to see if we could get him banned form the Line. He was sympathetic to our cause and his decision was that I should take him under my wing for a week with the target that by the end of the week he would be running the Line...Brilliant!

So, Monday I start showing him the ropes what to do and what to be aware of, how to allocate the FLMs (man management) etc. By Thursday the Sengo asks how he's doing and we agree to let him run the line by himself on Friday. He did reasonably well apart from falling into a few trapholes like forgetting to pick up the Lox trolley from the Lox Bay and allocating a FLM who was on earlies (and finished at 10am on a Friday) to an 11am take off (he tried to tell him he would have to work late). Fortunately for both, I intervened!

I'd like to think that the Bengo learned from that experience and it helped him in his further career. He certainly kept away from my phone. Sengo found it funny!