PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Army
Thread: European Army
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2021, 07:25
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman
Meanwhile in European NATO members:

450 million rich Europeans who together spend 227B Euro on defense but need the help from 325 million rich Americans to defend against 144 million “poor” Russians who spend a measly 55B Euro.

European NATO members just waste money:
comparison with the US:

Europe has 178 different weapon systems,
US 38.
Europe has 17 different tanks, US 1.
Europe has 29 different frigates, US 4.
Europe has 20 different jet fighters, US 6.

Yes I believe the European NATO members should spend 2 percent, but that is not the problem. The problem is lack of standardization. This fragmentation is because all European NATO members are sovereign nations.

An EU Defense Force who could act as a single entity would be a huge part of the solution. In the past most European nations were happy to be under uncle Sam’s umbrella but Trump has shown that this protection is not a given.
I can't believe Europe has more Jet Fighters than the US, apart from France and Germany, just about everyone operates one of three, F-16, F-18 and Gripen. France has Rafale and Mirage 2000, essentially that is it. Germany has Typhoon and Tornado likewise Italy. the latter now operates the F-35. The RAF/RN, if their in the mix, ditto Typhoon and F-35. I'm not counting Migs, Fitters and so on as any of these left are about to receive a Gold Clock. I don't think we're anywhere near 20. The US, F-22, F-35, F-16, F-15, F-18, Harrier, A-10... Do the US Navy still operate the A-6? Even so we've breached your claim of six. Also, how many of the European aircraft are of US origin? Also, can we take the B-1B, B-2 and B-52 into consideration? They're combat types. The European attitude to military postures and defence has become Titular once again.

FB