PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training on grass
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2021, 02:44
MENELAUS

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by megan
Aaahh, the Scout, about the most testing thing there is in which to do autos, but the funnest thing to fly. I don't know what the aversion is to doing autos on grass, what are the inherent dangers? Our military skid helos unit only ever did them to grass and not one issue ever arose that I'm aware of, though we did have a Wessex do a night auto to a runway and put the tail wheel up through the tail cone, night autos were promptly banned.

I’d take issue with that having done autos and EOL’s on both. The Wasp was marginally worse. Heavier for one thing, the flot gear interfered with induced flow, so it came down like the proverbial brick outhouse. And then the skewed in gear, in land mode, which caused snaking on landing. It behoved one to ensure the wheel locks were out prior to the first one.
At least one a season came back from Merryfield on the back of a Queen Mary having been “top hatted”.
Finally I seem to recall doing engine offs to both the grass and the tarmac at Culdrose in the Gazelle back in the day. Much to the chagrin of the maintainers.
Still got my dayglo ‘frange’ !!!
Two of the trappers did a SK double engine out at Predannack, and, bounced on the tail wheel on landing, and pitched forward damaging the aerials at the front. So minor bending of the cab. Naturally, because it was the trappers, and two of them together at that, beggar all was done about it.

Last edited by MENELAUS; 14th May 2021 at 04:15.