PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new low for the NZ Justice System
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 08:21
Squawk7700

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by kitchen bench
Would you have the same generous attitude if it was your child that had been sexually assaulted? I’d be surprised if you were.

Once might be a “mistake” (with the emphasis on “might”) but three times, as per the article, is deliberate, intentional and perhaps, even, premeditated. The victims have to live with that for the rest of their lives but old mate pays his $5000, has his name suppressed and gets on with life as though not much happened. Justice, amongst other things, encompasses accountability but I see little of that here.

It seems to me that "my career will be ruined" is a convenient ploy to avoid proper accountability. If a defendant didn't plead that a career was at stake, having committed a similar offence, would they get off so lightly?
I have children, but I also have an intimate knowledge and experience within the justice system (not as a crook), so I understand why things happen the way that they do.

If you lock him up now, he will statistically be more likely to offend again later and more severely.

There’s a lot of criminals in this world and multiple in your street, but what you don’t know, won’t hurt you. It’s just the sad reality of this world. You can’t lock everyone up as we can’t afford to fund the prisons. Then if we do, they will start manufacturing products and put legitimate businesses out of business and the cycle continues.