PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIR instructor?
Thread: BIR instructor?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2021, 17:12
Rivet gun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just want to bump this thread to see if anybody has more information on the BIR.

I understand BIR will come into effect in EASA land from September.
Will the UK implement BIR for UK licence holders identical to EASA BIR.
Since the BIR is a sub ICAO rating it would be valid only in the airspace of the state that issues it unless mutual recognition is agreed. Will the UK and EASA agree so that holders of an EASA BIR can use it in UK airspace and holders of a UK BIR can use it in EU airspace?

As I understand it:
BIR training must be at an ATO
Trainee must have at least PPL, but no further experience post PPL is specified.
Training is entirely competency based, no minimum training hours are specified. Therefore it is up to the ATO to decide the mix of FNPT and aircraft training, though some aircraft training will be required before the test. This also provides a practical route to upgrade IR(R) to BIR since it would be for the ATO to assess the upgrade training required.
Skill test is essentially the same as for IR, but presumably the operating minima agreed with the examiner would be those for the BIR, so typically the applicant would need to fly an ILS down to 400ft.?
Validity is 12 months. Re-validation requires proficiency check with IRE on the aircraft at least every second year. The intervening re-validation could be by having flown 6 hours as PIC under IFR including 3 instrument approaches plus 1 hour refresher with an instructor, or by proficiency check with IRE in FNPT II.
Instructor minimum experience would be 200 hours flight time under IFR to instruct on the aircraft or 50 hours flight time under IFR to instruct on the FNPT. Instructor must hold at least the rating they are training for, so BIR instructor could hold BIR or IR?

P.S. I just noticed FCL.905.FI has a new paragraph c which shifts all the subsequent paragraphs down a letter. Hence where my licence says (g)/(g)(IR(R))/ it should now say (h)/(h)(IR(R))/.

Last edited by Rivet gun; 9th May 2021 at 18:13.