PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training on grass
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2021, 16:32
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
"Training on grass" - I though this was going to be a whole different topic.......

Interesting article linked to above by the guy with lots of numbers in his name. I was actually very encouraged to see his advocacy for transmitting a 'Mayday' call ( not meant to provoke an "aviate, navigate, communicate" debate....) as this call seems to be something of an anathema to our US colleagues, in both big and small 'tin', who prefer to say they are "declaring an emergency" (typically when prompted by ATC).
I'm not so sure that's true in the helicopter community in the US. I've heard two ATC audio recordings where the Mayday call was made. Both in the NYC area. One was back in 2013, a 206 engine out over the boat basin, popped floats and all was well. I can't seem to find that recording online at the moment. The other is the infamous shoe-selfie debacle, Youtube link posted below.

With the urgency associated with an auto from 1000ft AGL or less, I know I'm going to pop the M-word if I think of it and am talking to ATC at the time. But you are correct in that most fixed wing incidents do tend toward the "declaring an emergency" style of communicating. I also agree it is too bad, surprising even, that Tucker should confuse Mayday and Pan calls. As a mariner I've heard and made many Securite calls, heard many Pan calls, never heard an actual Mayday. As an aviator I have yet to hear my first live emergency, thank goodness!