PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new low for the NZ Justice System
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2021, 07:17
KiwiAvi8er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
Having spent time working in the legal system, I can understand that a conviction is not always a good thing. If a conviction means that you can’t get a decent job for the rest of your life, it will mean that the chances of reoffending or escalation of the crime type are far more likely. It’s a vicious cycle really. Many career paths need a clean criminal record check. The fact that he has a supporting family has has completed the community work etc is a good thing.

The downside is that there is still a victim of the crime, however whether or not the offender is convicted won’t change the outcome for the victim.

In this case, a suspended sentence with no conviction would probably be the best course of action, however it’s not possible. There aren’t many other options that will please the public and the victim in the longer term.
Fair point. Can’t say I’d be happy if in 15+ years, the guy has an airline job and is dealing with unaccompanied minors and kids on flight deck visits. I’m not saying he shouldn’t have a career going forward but he’s obviously not suitable for a position of responsibility.