PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Army
Thread: European Army
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2021, 09:50
minigundiplomat

Received 186 Likes on 70 Posts
Hundreds of thousands of troops from across the Commonwealth have died saving Europe from itself, many didn’t live in the UK; my Grandfather landed on the beach at Normandy and I served over 20 years in the UK military, so my location is irrelevant and I don’t need your approval to comment.

This being a military forum, I’ll explain using those terms. The EU has a nice flag, a currency, anthem and policies for every situation, and I get it, you all love each other and want to be the new USA. Good luck to you.

What you don’t have is any military weight, and neither are you prepared to invest in such. Military equipment is a horse trade on who gets what share of the booty. You don’t invest and very few allocate the NATO minimum. Trump was wrong about many things, but when it came to many EU members being defence and security freeloaders, he was spot on.

And so, when the EU’s ambition outstrips capability, it will go horribly wrong. Ukraine is a prime example of EU miscalculation in foreign policy, and possibly a portent of future mis-steps. When it does go wrong, I will crack a beer and watch as you all shove the might of the Luxembourg and Belgian militaries to the front.

The idea of some EU Army holding back the Russians is pure fantasy, and as usual, you’ll look to the US, UK and Commonwealth to bail you out - again. I will be melting marshmallows on the fire, amigo,