PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HeliService International win Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance
Old 25th Apr 2021, 07:43
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by torqueshow
I wonder how that would work from a fundraising aspect as a charity. The money generally comes from the same donors and businesses where there’s a feeling of local pride over their county’s air ambulance provider. Someone donating in Northumberland may not feel like they see the benefit of their donation if they think it’s being spent in Cornwall.
Agreed! I answered a knock on our door a while back to find a chap who tried to get me to sign up to a monthly contribution to what he described as “your local” air ambulance. He launched into a sales pitch, telling how important it was, etc etc.

My first thought was that he might be a fraudster. He seemed to have authentic I.d. but it was immediately obvious from it that he was trying to get me to sign up to support a unit that wasn’t our local one at all. I pointed out he was in the wrong county! He asked me why I was saying that and I pointed out that I was in the industry and worked from the same airfield as the unit he was collecting for. I also told him that “my local” air ambulance was about sixty miles from the one he was representing, that a friend was chief pilot of that unit and we already supported that one.

The chap got quite defensive and grumpy; needless to say he didn’t get my bank details.