PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HRH The Duke Of Edinburgh
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2021, 18:33
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by davidevans54
The least surprising death in the world. The guy was 99. All this obsequious OTT nonsense about this man, is cringeworthy, especially from grown men, as opposed to Cheshire housewives reading Hello magazine, or the odious Daily Mail. He is an irrelevance to most British people, particularly in the down at heel back streets of British urban settings. Outside of the UK, who cares? I d rather watch a few hours of Jerry Springer than this tedious, nationalistic mournfest, that is an example of the British inward looking nationalism that has taken hold of this declining country, post Brexit.
That's it David, provoke debate, I read the Daily Mail by the way, I also read the Times, especially if Quentin Letts' commons sketch is putting in an appearance, I also read the New European and the Daily Express, the Daily Telegraph and on occasion, the Guardian. I can tell you my opinion on which is the most stinkingly, eye wateringly, pungently odious, if you take my meaning, and it is the New European. I've never read such a juvenile disgusting trolling rag.
Have a view by all means but the hideous caricature in cartoon form of people linked to the Brexit vote and the grotesque miss representation, of the outcome and the craven expectation, or rather hope, for its disastrous failure is never sympathetic. But always, unto us (whom they desperately did not want to leave) in the UK, sneering. At whom they now see as an enemy seemingly on a par with North Korea (honestly), very much the same way Lord Haw Haw sneered at this country 76 years and more ago. I can think of no other comparison.

Back on thread, HRH Prince Philip, was a most prominent public figure, he was married to the reigning Monarch I'll have you know, for 73 years no less. On top of this, his individual most impressive record of achievement, which has been detailed on this thread, is a difficult one for many to beat regardless. That's why he gets the kind of media attention which occurs when prominent figures in national life pass away either suddenly or after a long and eventful life. So I hope you won't cast aspersions on all of our characters simply for thinking that to be fitting?

FB