PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HRH The Duke Of Edinburgh
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2021, 15:18
SLXOwft

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
A life lived to the full and always looking forward, not back. I see there are threads on at least four forums here, JB, Rotorheads, and History and Nostalgia. A thought I had, of which I am sure he would have disapproved, is what UK Defence would have been like if he had been 1SL and CDS not his uncle?

Wallace and/or his briefers - I despair - no mention of his being Lord High Admiral nor of his service in HMS Valiant, onboard which he earned his MID (and the Greek War Cross), nor as Jimmy of HMS Wallace when his bright idea is reputed to have saved the ship from being bombed off Sicily, nor as Jimmy on HMS Whelp where he was involved in rescuing downed aircrew off Sumatra as mentioned in this story on the Navy Wings website Prince Philip Saved Us from Dying - I sure HRH would have disapproved of the title as hyperbole, he and the rescued crew met again at Buck House 60 years later.

I never had the honour and pleasure of meeting him, but the views of those to whom I have spoken that had were all positive.

Fair winds and following seas, Sir!

Last edited by SLXOwft; 15th Apr 2021 at 17:36. Reason: family relationship