PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2021, 07:19
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky1987
hi Geoff. Did I read that correctly? The CAGRS controller at ballina is using an app on an Ipad or phone to provide traffic? Is that even allowed? My flight radar 24 app has all sorts of lag and incorrect info? I have flown into Ballina in my 172 quite a few times and have had rpt jets passed as traffic. I was not aware they were using an app on their phones for this? Is that supported by the regulator?
Hi Pinky - When I last visited the CA/GRO position at BNA they were displaying FR24 on a desktop computer screen and using the information for situation awareness. This augmented the poor view the CA/GRO has of the aerodrome and maneuvering area caused by being positioned behind the duty fireman. The fireman's cab also faces North (the runway) so the CA/GRO has no ability to sight the circuit south of the runway. This rather poor view was initially sanctioned by a CASA exemption but is now allowed under the new CASR Part 139 Manual of Standards (MOS) without an exemption being required.

Is that (FR24) allowed? The CA/GRO is required to comply with the requirements of CASR 139 Section D2 Para 155-160, Chapter 22 of the Part 139 MOS, and the guidance in AC 139.D-02 V.1. The operator was not observed using FR24 to pass traffic, that information was copied from aircraft radio calls and, where possible, sighting the aircraft; FR24 just gave the operator information about the direction to look. In terms of whether FR24 is "allowed" for situation awareness, CASA has gone out of it's way to ensure that the non-ICAO compliant CA/GRS is not classified as an Air Traffic Service (ATS); it is governed solely by Part 139 and it's MOS. That legislates what the unit must have but I could not find any regulation that stated what they could not have. (An ATS, on the other hand, may only use surveillance systems approved by CASA.) It was my view at the time that it was safer for the CA/GRO to have some general information than to tell them, without any regulatory reason, to switch it off.

I hope that helps