PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 03:01
Pinky1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
No. If see and avoid does not give an adequate level of risk reduction you put in class D or higher airspace.

ICAO has no radio requirement for VFR aircraft in E,F and G airspace because there is no way of knowing if the radio is actually working and on the correct frequency.

Pretty simple really. Sounds as if you are putting profits in front of safety if you do not support Class D where see and avoid is not adequate.

Or do you support airline pilots looking down at the TCAS screen in the terminal area rather than remaining vigilant and keeping a good lookout?
I support everyone looking out the window in VMC Mr Smith. I support G airspace and I am not suggesting RPT pilots stare at their TCAS any more than I stare at my IPAD when flying. But as an inexpensive addition to my aircraft, I do support transponders in all aircraft as a last line of defence when all the holes line up. TCAS is an alerting system Mr Smith it is not intended as a situational awareness system to replace looking out the window. I am not arguing about classification of airspace I am suggesting that pilots fit transponders regardless of airspace and regulations.
bit like reversing cameras on cars and aural obstacle warnings on cars. Not legally required and if you look out the window you'll never hit a person, but sure comes in handy when all the holes line up and a life is saved.
Are you anti transponder? Would you fly around the east coast in G without a transponder and radio cause the rule says you don't have to? When I was a kid seatbelts were not required in the back-seat of cars. My mum made me wear one anyway. Saved my life in an accident mate - risk mitigation 101. Light up your aircraft, use your bloody radio, squawk 1200 look out the windows, avoid IFR routes and IAPs regardless of classification of airspace. And yes regulator should spend a bit of time working on protecting airports where RPT fly into with no tower by classifying the airspace to protect hundreds of people sitting in the back from ill-equipped aircraft being flown by pilots who are living on the dark ages.