PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Futher With The Glide
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2003, 00:57
Bern Oulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC_LTNNothing wrong with that phrase that you use, it is in the MATS Appendix E.

I would caution a student however, that this instruction should not cause the aircraft to commence descent using the glidepath signal if outside the glidepath protected range - i.e. the aircraft established on the localiser at a level above 3,000 aal (normally).

My point was, in the main, that nowhere in the phraseology part of the MATS Pt1 does the word "glide" or "glidepath" appear, in the context of vectoring for an ILS approach. And anyway, surely one descends on a glidepath, not with a glidepath. As for "further with the glide", well, that just does not make grammatical sense.

As to whether the phraseology is too verbose for the traffic loading at some units, or should be brought into line with our continental friends, is an entirely different matter.

I grant you that distance from touchdown is not mentioned in the Phraseology bit, but I would have thought that was covered in Section 3 Chapter 2 Page 2 Para 9:

9.1 The position of an aircraft is to be passed to the pilot at least once on each leg of the circuit.

9.2 Position information for an aircraft making a straight-in approach is to be passed at least once before it commences the final descent.

Distance from touchdown, on a closing heading, constitutes position information, in my humble submission.

Herewith the sum total of phrases for use when turning an aircraft onto the localiser for an ILS approach (according to Appendix E):

Turn left/right heading (three digits, report established on the localiser.

Closing the localiser from the left/right; report established.

Descend on the ILS, QFE (pressure) millibars.

Descend on the ILS, QNH (pressure) millibars, elevation (number) feet.

When established on the localiser, descend on the ILS, QFE (pressure) millibars/QNH (pressure) millibars, Elevation (number) feet.

Now, controversial thought, perhaps the MATS needs to catch up with reality?