PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 23:43
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi G_f, I will try and keep it short:

So WHY do you think the AsA proposal is nonsense?
  • The original proposal would have trapped all pilots flying aircraft with engine-driven electrical systems but no transponder below 1500 Feet AGL
  • Pilots would have no way to know where 1500 feet was in space because we fly on the local or area mean sea level pressure setting (QNH)
  • Surely you agree that was nonsense?

And WHY do you think the process is nonsense?
  • The AAPS paragraphs 25 - 33 detail the MInister's instructions to CASA about the process for changing an airspace classification in a volume of airspace
  • Para 26 allows a non-CASA proponent to "identify(ing) the volumes of airspace to be reviewed in accordance with Section 13 of the Airspace Act 2007, and be accompanied by comprehensive supporting evidence for the proposed change"
  • I would accept an argument that Airservices is currently gathering comprehensive supporting evidence, however, it is the job of CASA to complete a risk assessment, publish the CASA (not the proponents) proposal for change, and request comment
Do you feel the same way about Proposal A and Proposal B and if so WHY?
I have tried to find proposals A and B but without success
If you are referring to the latest Airservices iteration then lowering the Class E base will still trap the aircraft I refer to above but at a higher altitude.
This increases the collision risk in the remaining Class G and also runs counter to the equitable access to airspace explained in the Government legislation