PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fresh Grade 3 Instructor with $120,000 debt. Driving street sweepers...
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 11:53
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
Is that a trick question?

Is it because not as many women are interested in aviation perhaps?
I will say quite clearly I don't agree with having a quota, it undermines the accomplishment of getting a position as there will always be people saying that it was only because of a quota and you'll probably always wonder yourself to some degree BUT at the same time, one reason some don't think of a pursuing a particular career is that they simply can't see themselves in it, they lack role models so there definitely needs to be a push to have more Women in Aviation so those that want to aren't deterred just because of the optics of it. They should be deterred for the same reasons as the rest of us eventually come to realise, poor conditions, difficult progression, and the rise of automation

Also in saying that I'll also say quite clearly that Women in Aviation often do have it more difficult, I have very good friends that are some of the most capable Aviators I've had the pleasure to meet that have been kept down and forced to work harder and to more ridiculous standards than their Male counterparts simply because there are still those at the top who still have the "Boys Club" attitude. As others have said, your gender SHOULD be completely irrelevant to whether you can do the job or not and whether you get the job or not but the fact is that there are a lot of those at the top of the food chain that make these decisions who don't look at it this way so here we are. I'd implore anyone involved in Check and Training that sees any attitudes like this to call it out because it isn't happening enough right now. I've heard plenty of stories of trainees being failed by a checky only to have the next one not understand why they failed them at all except for the fact that they actually do know why but don't speak up on it.

I'll also say I've seen the opposite side with some Women approaching Aviation with a giant chip on their shoulder born of no real experience/reason that makes them very difficult to work with and is the reason they don't progress as fast as others but they'll play the Woman card as the reason why when we all know that isn't true. Don't be this person either, the fact is I believe that myself and the vast majority of my male counterparts want to see you succeed on your own merits as much as you do.

All this to say that gender shouldn't matter, but it still does make a difference and we should all be making sure that any capable Aviator is never restricted from progressing due to crappy attitudes from those making these decisions. Those that already know this will know, those that don't will hopefully read this and be a bit more on the lookout for it in the future and willing to do something about it.