PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 03:45
Geoff Fairless

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gentle_flyer
To Geoff Fairless,

Thank you for your contributions. I found them very interesting.

I was wondering whether you could explain a couple of queries on the first and last sentences of your first post as per below:

“The Minister should step in and stop this nonsense from his Government-owned ATS provider known as Airservices Australia.”

“I call on the Minister and CASA DAS to stop this nonsensical process and follow Australian law as embodied in the Airspace Act and AAPS.”

You use the words “nonsense” and “nonsensical”. Could you explain why you have used these strong words?

Does it refer to the process and / or the changes proposed?

Your second sentence seems to imply the minister reads these posts?

Do you honesty believe that or does your statement imply you have written a letter directly to the minister using the same words as quoted?

Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

G_f.
Gf - Thanks for your questions. Although I would rather argue the core issues I will try and respond to what you describe as "strong" words.
  • Nonsense - noun - something absurd or fatuous:
  • Nonsensical - adjective- (of behavior, conduct, actions, etc.) foolish, senseless, fatuous, or absurd:
These are the Dictionary.com definitions of the two words, there are other meanings but I have chosen the ones pertaining to ideas/actions. So to answer your point, I am referring to both the process and the proposal.
I do not believe that they are "strong" words, in the sense that I think you mean, they are simply common English words that convey my opinion of what Airservices is doing and has proposed. They are by their very nature, words carrying an opinion, and if you do not agree with my opinion, that is your right.

My call to the Minister is what is called "rhetoric" and can be:
  • (in writing or speech) the undue use of exaggeration or display; bombast.
  • the art or science of all specialized literary uses of language in prose or verse, including the figures of speech.
  • the study of the effective use of language.
  • the ability to use language effectively.
  • the art of prose in general as opposed to verse.
  • the art of making persuasive speeches; oratory.
Of course, I do not believe that the Minister reads PPrune, but perhaps someone who advises him, might. Neither have I personally written to the Minister because I do not believe that my email/letter would get past his Departmental or political minders. I have, however, written on two occasions to the ATSB using similar language, once about an incident at Maroochydore and then about the ongoing investigation into a Ballina separation breakdown. I also, as I have stated elsewhere, responded to consultation requests on the AVSef website and have previously provided input to the DIRD about the AAPS in 2018. I intend to do so again this year.

Once again, thanks, I am always happy to defend my point of view.