PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukrainian Aircraft down in Iran
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2021, 19:02
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
“The AAIB says that military activities fall outside of the scope of” ICAO’s accident investigation guidelines, Fox says. “We do not agree.”
Well he can disagree of course but this is a fact and correct.
I have not finished to read the Iranian report but so far I read the confirmation that the Civil ATC did coordinate the departure with the military sector , so the communication failure(s) were inside the military apparatus.
Procedure to avoid misaligning a missile battery and improving communications between them and their command center fall well outside of ICAO Annex 13.

That said, that the Canadians, seen the number of their nationals on board, feel unhappy with the report one can understand them.
Fox also says Iran’s civil aviation agency failed to warn airlines of military-related hazards, as ICAO recommends.
There they have a point, and in fact there lies the main issue. The Sates are responsible to declare a conflict area and airlines decide to fly or not in that area,. Often listening to CNN gives better info that waiting for a NOTAM of the State involved.
Similar situation at the moment with Saudi Arabia . IFALPA just issued a Safety bulletin , urging extreme caution. But if your airline schedule you to go , or, like in this case , to fly back home, what do you do ?

One mystery though , I cannot see why the Canadians were not allowed to have access to FDR and CVR recordings . What can there be in there that is subject to secrecy or that would alter the conclusions. ?