PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fresh Grade 3 Instructor with $120,000 debt. Driving street sweepers...
Old 17th Mar 2021, 00:00
Capn Rex Havoc

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Bloody Chinese Virus...

driftking92 - Hang in there, you are not alone. The reality is that the aviation industry has been decimated. The inertia of the recovery will be exponentially longer than the short term it took to destroy commercial aviation. There WILL be a recovery, of that, I am certain. How am I certain? Vaccines are being distributed, (albeit slowly), there is nothing else we, as humans can do now to fight the virus. People will travel again, it is just the time frame, that is uncertain. As for work, well done on getting a job. About 2500 yes, 2 and a half thousand, of my colleagues in EK were made redundant, or given 12 months unpaid leave. It has taken 6 months for some of them to find work (non aviation related). When I came back to Oz, I did my Multi eng instructor rating, (I was already a lapsed gr 2), and while I was at the flying school, I was surprised at how many young men and women were doing their Commercial training. The reality is, the market is now flooded with highly experienced pilots. This is not your fault, so, try to look on the bright side, you have your instructor rating, you have work. Eventually, the market will stabilise, airlines, will expand as the post covid recovery gets underway, and you will be ready to dust off your rating and begin the upward ladder climb again. I assume you are a 92 vintage, if so you have decades of fulfilling flying ahead of you. Hang in there mate.