PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force - part of RAF?
Old 15th Mar 2021, 01:20
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Cant help with the question unfortunately but the thread has brought back memories of flying with the HKAAF when I was at Kai Tak in 68- 69. At the time they operated a couple of Alouette 3s and some Austers. I managed to go flying on several occasions, usually on the Austers, which were great fun. On Sunday mornings they did a "hearts and minds" service, delivering bundles of newspapers to remote villages in the New Territories. On one occasion, approaching a coastal village from the landward side I was a little late releasing my bundle from the doorway, and saw it splash down in the sea about 30 yards from the shore. The last we saw the locals were wading out to retrieve it - I wonder if they ever got the papers dried out.

I seem to recall there were two regular RAF officers attached to the unit - one each on the rotary and fixed wing sides. The rest of the chaps were locally employed, mainly European, but their star pilot was one Sqn Ldr Danny Cheung, AFC, whose award had come after a helicopter rescue, the details of which I have forgotten.