PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2021, 11:54
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morno
Not true. In AUSTRALIA, RPT jets don’t have ADSB in. I know It’s an option that is available on Airbus aircraft. Just that the tight ass airlines in Australia don’t option it.
This is an Australian thread.

How many light aircraft in Australia currently have ADSB-OUT that don’t also have Mode C?

If the lighties start to install el-cheapo dashboard ADSB-OUT without Mode C, then maybe that is something the airlines could look at. But at the moment they don’t have it because there is no point. Nothing tight-arse about electing not to install a $300K (guessing) option in every jet for zero safety improvement.

As for the other poster’s comment about 737’s and 320’s being half-decade old jets - and I can only speak for the 737NG - it’s avionics are on par with the 777/787. The lack of ADSB-in is by choice, not heritage.

A subject beyond my ageing memory is that Australia somewhat rejected the ADSB-IN concept that was introduced in the USA. Someone with better knowledge may be able to fill us in on that.

The latest version of Jepessen FlightDeck Pro which runs on airline pilot iPads has the ability to display ADSB-IN traffic information, although it requires an aircraft receiver data connection to make it happen. On-dash el-cheapo ADSB-IN receivers don’t meet certification requirements in airliners, sorry. But that might reduce the $300K per aircraft to $100K if they decide to go that way (guessing again).