PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 22:39
Advance

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Expertise Que? What is that?

Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
Actually the couple of experts retired after a few years, leaving those left to their own devices

It is interesting how Canada treats Class F. So we are not the only country in the world that does something different. I think I prefer our PRDs.

Actually Australia has two types of Class G airspace. See AIP ENR 1.4-7 paras 3.1.3 & 3.1.4
And therein lies a huge problem Captain Midnight!
With the separation of Airservices to be only a "service provider" they no longer have any significant Head Office staff professionally qualified and experienced driving large aircraft around the sky.
To be blunt, they can be the best ATC in the world but they no longer know what they are doing and why - they do not understand the need of the pilots and operators to whom they, nominally, provide a service.
When blokes like Merv Fowler left Airservices, the IFR pilot experience left also.

CASA used to have a core of experienced IFR pilots from both airlines and GA. Sure, there are a few left like Captain Jos**** who know precisely how an IFR flight should be conducted and what services they need but as you say, most of the expertise has vanished.

And the result is CASA OAR is not doing the legally defined job, as I have evidenced in detail here.