PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar and Ballina again
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 16:02
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roller Merlin
Portable and cheap ADSB traffic systems for VFR were approved in July 2020, so the game has changed. A Sky Echo ADSB in/out VFR box is the size of a fag packet, mounts on the window of any lighty and costs $900 - every user and other IFR can see each other out to 40miles. These incidents would virtually stop overnight if CASA were to mandate ADSB in CTAFs where RPT operate.
Sadly no RPT jets have ADSB-IN. They only have ADSB-OUT along with their transponder mode C.

This solution may provide the Jabiru the location of the Jet, but it won’t provide the Jet the location of the Jabiru, and it won’t provide the jet with TCAS avoidance or alerting. That still requires the Jabiru to have a transponder mode C.

Why? Well I guess Australia is unique in having RPT jets mix with Jabirus in non-towered airports. If that happened elsewhere in the world then Airbus and Boeing would be fitting different equipment.

I may have some of this wrong, but until lighties have mode C when they are mixing with jets in busy uncontrolled airports, I think we have a disaster waiting to happen.

CA/GRS doesn’t cut it.