PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Second Officer Jobs
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 04:21
Mach E Avelli

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent_86
You took the risk, own it. Why is it always someone else's fault?
Steady on, I don't see that she is blaming someone else. A couple of years ago her projected career path would have been a reasonable risk, such was the market then.

Petra I would advise you not to wait 6 months for the market to improve up north, as that would put you at the start of the wet season when much of the tourism work slows down. Go the C206; save your money for the turbine kit later, when you have a definite flying job. Like the IFR twin is expecting too much, they won't turn you loose in a million dollar turbine with 200 hours. If you are really, really good (and are lucky) you may even find your employer will pay for any upgrade training in return for a bond. Some pilots don't approve of bonds, but if done fairly it can work in your favour.
Unless it has changed since my early days, the usual is to head north about easter and start the door-knocking process then, while trying to get whatever other work is to be had to keep you alive.
As for ATPL subjects, I see you already have them. But don't make a big deal of this! Your typical GA tourist operator has no need of the ATPL and in fact if they think you are just there to build hours pending an airline slot it could go against you.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 3rd Mar 2021 at 04:26. Reason: others got in 1 minute ahead with similar advice