PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Info on History of Licensing in Australia
Old 20th Feb 2021, 18:17
Airmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on History of Licensing in Australia

Hi Guys,

Im doing a course in Aviation Law at UNSW, not being from Australia I wanted a bit of clarification about what I’ve read. Not sure if there are any Australian Aviation History buffs here but I’ll throw the question out there anyway.

Having read a bit I discovered that between 1936 and approximately 1964 the Commonwealth government was barred from regulating aviation for intrastate flights (I.e. flights not crossing international or state borders). In 1947 all states adopted the commonwealth air navigation regulations as state law to create uniform aviation regulations nationwide. So was wondering:
  1. Before the 1947 adoption of the uniform Air Navigation Act by the state, what was the condition of regulations in each state. Were there unregulated states? We’re there huge differences in regulations between states?
  2. Between 1947-1964 when states adopted uniform regulation were there separate state and commonwealth licenses issued? Could a pilot with a commonwealth license fly intrastate, or did he need to have both a state and commonwealth license?

Thanks

Last edited by Airmann; 21st Feb 2021 at 01:27.