PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI Course CAVOK Hungary
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2021, 12:47
Bushdodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Broadlands
I assume now that the U.K. will not have this problem but just consider how many poorly trained flight crew have been produced by these schools.
After working in GA commercials ops and instructing in different countries and different continents, I always find it interesting that people think their country has higher standards than others (this isn't meant to be an attack on you or the UK by the way. It's the same the world over.)

In the last couple years in the UK I've seen FI and CRI AoC's passed with the candidate reporting they never once touched the controls or demonstrated any instructing during the brief flight. I've been asked to send PPL students on their first solo after they had done 5 hours of circuits but never been taught any of Ex.6-10. I've seen a student sent solo on a QXC flight having never done any engine failure training (NONE. Not even one EFATO. She had no idea it was supposed to be part of the syllabus!). I've seen candidates passing PPL tests without demontrating stalling, abnormal circuits or nav diversions. I stopped an instructor sending a ppl student on a solo nav to an airport reporting <1000m RVR for the past 2 hours. The list goes on...

A few years ago I was examined in a dust bowl by an African local who'd never left his country, from an airstrip with lions lying under the pole that presumably once held a windsock. He was an excellent pilot and examiner and I would MUCH prefer him to teach my kids to fly than some of the white shirt, tie and bar wearing instructors I've met at large ATOs in the UK.

It really comes down to the individuals, not the country.

Anyway, that's my old fart lockdown rant done for today. Back to YouTube videos I go...