PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Independent RAF
Thread: Independent RAF
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2021, 17:10
Sideshow Bob

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rheinstorff
I have the benefit of working in both Defence and in the private sector as a NED as well as being the chair of a charity. Scale is one thing, but you’re not addressing my point about what it means to be in the Government sector. The rules are numerous, onerous and in addition to those faced by the commercial sector. Oh, and the opposition is seldom out to win more than the next contract.
Having also had the pleasure of working in the public (26 years in uniform) and private sector, both in Defence, I am fully versed with the numerous, onerous rules applied by the Government, and believe me, the Government don't just reserve them for their own organisations. Contractor are battered by poor A, D & Es, Def Stans and adverse contractual positions due to the MOD trying to get what they term Value for Money (and most people would term addition cost due to poor contracting). The key is knowing how to structure your organisation to deliver the output using as little indirect output manpower as possible, something the MOD does not understand. If you can save on the overhead, you'll have enough spare money to make sure opposition doesn't win. It's not the Government rules that stop the MOD being a lean organisation, it's how they're applied and an attitude of 'that's what we've always done (and a lack of knowledge as to why the rule is there).

kintyred

Sorry, I'll stop it now