PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATP Non-Type vs Type-Rated License: Concerns About Checkride
Old 10th Feb 2021, 17:31
IllinoisDavidson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATP Non-Type vs Type-Rated License: Concerns About Checkride

I know it has been a while since my pilot husband and I last posted in this forum. The pandemic has certainly halted our plans--like the rest of the world's plans. Point being, he is now moving forward in the process of converting his ICAO license. He has passed the ATP written exam and holds a valid ATP-CTP certificate (until 2025). Now he needs either non-type rated or type-rated simulator and checkride. Considering the costs from the popular training centers, obviously the non-type is significantly cheaper. However, the current concern is his ability to pass the checkride in an aircraft that he is unfamiliar with, if he goes with the non-type rated option. He currently flies Airbus 330, so he is much more comfortable and confident flying in the Airbus fleet. Does anyone here on this forum have any insight about the ATP license checkride--i.e. what the examiners quiz the pilots on, what questions are asked during the 'oral exam' of the checkride, etc. My husband certainly doesn't want to risk a 'failed' checkride because he is not fully familiar with the plane he will be flying in, following simulator training hours (which looks like just a meager 10 hours or so for some of these training centers). Maybe it is a better and safer (albeit more expensive) bet to choose the type-rated option with an aircraft that he has flown in the past and that he can easily and more readily familiarize himself with before the checkride. Any feedback and any recommendations about preparation for the checkride would be much appreciated. I hope everyone is safe and healthy out there.