PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-500 missing in Indonesia
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2021, 14:29
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some flying rules for flying Boeing's that have served me well:
  1. Never totally rely on the automatics to do the right thing when you need or expect them to (be that the auto-pilot and / or the auto-throttle). Assume that those auto-bastards are out to get you!
  2. Any time that the thrust is changing keep your hand on the thrust levers and if you get a mismatch / throttle stagger or the levers don't move as & when expected, do something about it (disconnecting the automatics as required). The same applies if the control yoke suggests that the aircraft is not in trim [with typical reasons for that being: asymmetric thrust (why?), and / or asymmetric fuel load between the wing tanks (fuel leak maybe?), and / or that the rudder trim is not set correctly (why would that be?), and / or that the silly sod in the other seat is resting their foot on a rudder pedal (****!)... use DODAR]... figure out why, do something about it if so required and keep your colleague in the loop.
  3. Airmanship applies ! (though I'm well aware that the 'A' word is a dirty word in some airlines).
bsieker... fwiw, almost every time I go to work (in a B737 Classic) I've got matched N1's but with thrust levers that are spilt (see pic)... and yes I know all about the throttle stagger limits, and yes I do write it in the TechLog (and take pics of it too), and yes the engineers fiddle about and try to fix it, but hey ho what to do eh?! (see the rules above)