PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2021, 06:49
neville_nobody

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
I find it perplexing that Class E separation would require the departing aircraft to stay on the ground, whereas in Class G "the departing aircraft can get away whilst the inbound aircraft is manoeuvring for the instrument approach" Are you saying that in Class G you are not separating yourself, or are you in fact departing VFR, the obvious answer. This can also be done in Class E airspace and CASRs allow PT aircraft to do so pending ATC identification and onwards clerance IFR. However I am told that airline companies believe it is too dangeraous to adopt VFR proceures and I believe every company in Australia prevents their pilots from so doing.

Neville are you saying that PT pilots are actually flying under the VFR........?
No pilots are sorting out their own separation and making it work. For example I have seen at two separate airports the situation where the inbound aircraft has to make a procedure turn Instrument Approach. Aircraft line up and wait for the inbound to be established outbound in the opposite direction then they take off on runway heading climbing away straight ahead with at least 5NM+ separation.

Then Class E was introduced over the top at both airports and aircraft were then held on the ground until the arrival landed for separation. If it's quiet it's not a big deal. However with this coming all down the east coast I can't see how it won't be chaos unless there is a revision of what the separation standard is for ATC. It seems crazy that at places like Sydney and Melbourne they launch departures with aircraft on a 2.5Mile final yet 10NM doesn't seem to be enough in Class E. I assume there are different standards for different airspace types but unless they change their standards it's not going to work. I can only assume this is what Black Panther was getting at. The controllers can do it but it's going to be a square peg in a round hole situation once again as CASA won't allowed it under their rule set.

In reality they are better off leaving as is then at least there is flexibility in the system to enable departures and arrivals to arrange their own separation.