PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cpl: Se Or Multi???
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2003, 00:31
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If CIPO trained in the USA then that would account for a possible perception about separate s/e & m/e CPLs. That's exactly what the US has for all their fixed wing licences. More actually, because there's also a land & sea divide making essentially four categories for each level of licence. That makes 4 PPLs, 4 CPLs, 4 ATPs. I'm ignoring gliders, rotorcraft etc. but they all add to the number of licences for each level too.

UK/JAR & Oz treat the levels as the sole divisions, the privileges of which are available on any a/c one may fly. There is also a separation of licences is between rotor, fixed wing, glider, balloon etc.

It's an interesting philosophical split between systems and leads to some odd mixes of privileges & limitations. As an example for me over the years:

Oz:

PPL + Night VFR rating. No multi endorsement, no IR
Can fly s/e aircraft by day & night in private ops. Can't fly a multi or IFR

CPL + Night VFR. No multi, no IR
Same priviliges as before but now includes aerial work, charter & public transport ops. NVFR rating is not permitted for charter/public transport but OK for aerial work. Still no multi or IFR allowed

CPL + NVFR + multi:
As before but now allowed to use a multi as well. Note: Oz requires a separate endorsement for each multi type.

CPL + NVFR + multi + IR
As before but now includes ops under IFR (single or multi) AND the IR allows NVFR for charter/pub transport.

Get FAA ATP MEL:
Can fly private & commercial/air transport ops but only in a multi. IFR allowed because the ATP includes IR privileges. Not allowed to fly m/e floatplanes nor any single at all.

To gain single &/or floatplanes would require certificate (read 'licence') for each of those variations ie s/e land, s/e sea, m/e sea. I could do the test(s) at any level ie PPL/CPL/ATP and would be limited to the privileges associated with that level in that class of a/c.

Get UK ATPL/IR in a multi
Can fly multi VFR & IFR in private/aerial work/pub transport ops. Not allowed fly singles.

If I got checked in a single then my ATPL/IR privileges would be extended onto the single. If my IR lapse I can fly IFR OCTA still but not in IMC. Might still have a UK IMC rating???

It gets a bit convoluted at times....