PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 08:40
Gentle_flyer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
Lead. I believe the proposal is being driven by AsA because of the Mangalore fatalities.

It really needs to be instigated and driven by the Airspace Office at CASA.

Such major changes require an individual who has the leadership abilities and self confidence to “sell “ the need for change and the way it should take place

I believe an increase in E will only work and be safe if it closely follows the FAA proven system. This proposal does not. As an example , for E to work at low level we will need to change to FAA pilot and ATC procedures.

An FAA expert needs to be employed to advise on this.

There is no possibility,in my view, that such a major change could be introduced by December. Too risky!
Dick,

Thank you for your points.

Given that the ATSB final report on MNG has yet to be published or the Coroner’s Inquiry has been held and report published, I and a lot of my colleagues find it incredible that AsA is implementing changes, allegedly due to the MNG midair and associated fatalities. Do they have such faith in their internal report presumably identifying what went wrong that they have no need for the ATSB or Coroner’s findings.

Why does not AsA publish their internal Safety Report on the accident with full voice transcripts?

I find it very strange that you don’t comment on the complete counterintuitive nature of their proposal given the rationale you presumably identify as the reason for the changes; ie for the very situation of airspace that the MNG accident happened will not be E airspace (?daylight hours at least) but still G as a SAFIS (whatever that means) of SFC-8500 / 15nm.

What services on the ?CTAF frequency in G will the “master controller” offer in G airspace that is not offered now?

Are you aware of an FAA staff visit to Australia over the next couple of months?

Will this visit specifically attempt to address all the issues raised in ATC simulation of E to 1500 throughout 2020 and raised by pilots and controllers for the last 29 years?

Will you be meeting with any of those FAA staff?

I can’t blame a lot of pilots and controllers who are very suspicious of these proposed changes, especially when AsA seemingly refuses to publish all the issues raised with the implementation of whatever is proposed and initially the proposed solutions for the issues. Even a draft but extensive list of frequently asked questions with honest answers and not another PowerPoint treacled with spin and bullS#@t would be a good start.

Dick, I am happy to answer a PM so you can establish my experience and I that have no “agenda” other than for the safety of pilots and their passengers and not to let another controller get the “BLA” treatment ever again.