PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brexit
Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2021, 11:09
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Same again
Has anyone been brave enough to read and decipher?
If you are referring to the Trade Agreement, yes I have read the AVSAF part. As stated on the EASA website, there is a clear statement and mechanism for the mutual recognition of Compliance findings and Certificates of each party (this includes each others FCL Licences). However, the statement refers to the "Annexes" of which the only one in the detailed list that has been issued concerns certification of aircraft and components. Now I am trying to not be cynical as I slide gently towards my 6th decade, however, I suspect the very large AIRBUS FW component industry in the UK may have caused France to stamps its "pied" to ensure UK wings get glued to European fuselages.

In my SOLI Transfer process, someone in "the system" told me that UK CAA made best efforts for this mutual recognition to be in place. However, to facilitate this the UK had to agree to be bound by certain European Legislation (otherwise no certainty of compliance is assured). Despite the fact the UK is legally bound by many treaties already, such as the ICAO Chicago Convention, NATO etc the UK Negotiating team were not empowered to agree to be bound by the necessary legislation. Hence, the annexes relevant to FCL etc are not issued.

I believe it is for this reason that neither the UK CAA nor EASA are able to make any statements relevant to future co-operation and specifically whether these annexes will ever be issued.

UK CAA meanwhile, treated like a mushroom by the politicians, ended up agreeing to unilateral recognition of EU Members FCLs for a 2 year period and also have made a fast track process for those EU members caught up in the debacle to get UK National Licences if and when they need them. Of course that is good news for all our fellow EU Rotorheads who have made their home and lives in the UK working for UK AOCs.For those of us on the opposite side of that fence....well lets say the Big Rabbit got F**ked!

For my own experience, the UK CAA were extremely helpful is facilitating my SOLI Transfer. This process means I give up my UK Part-FCL Licence. However, they have made a commitment to a simple pathway in April for those of us who had to Transfer to be re-issued with a UK National licence once again.

I have to say that I was a great advocate of EASA. I believe they simplified a whole range of protocols and procedures to our benefit even if it seemed at some time to do otherwise. Much of the regulations and rules originating in dear old Blighty.

My wife just received her new "Blue" Passport, (I believe made in France) and my VW Toureg did not self destruct on my driveway at midnight on 31/12/2020. So maybe in a few years we will look back and see a small storm in a very small teacup. Who really knows what the bejesus is going on anyway!